Grave Mode (Zo') Liturgika and "It is Truly Right", by Ioannis Arvanitis

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
When I lived in Greece for a year (2015-2016), I had the great blessing of studying Byzantine musical composition with Dr. Ioannis Arvanitis (@Laosynaktis ). Our lessons were focused primarily on the study of the papadic genre (although we ventured into other areas as well), and have proved to be of inestimable worth to me as I have worked over the years to compose settings of Cherubic Hymns and Communion Hymns in English. Frankly, I simply would not be able to compose any music in the papadic genre without the knowledge that Dr. Arvanitis imparted to me.

I recently reached out to him and asked him if I could commission him to compose a set of Liturgika and an accompanying "It is truly right" in diatonic Grave Mode, as I had found my own efforts to do so unsatisfactory in their results. He responded in the affirmative, and produced the attached masterpiece, which he asked that I type up and distribute on his behalf.

Δάσκαλε, thank you for everything you have done for Byzantine chant in English. Your work is an inspiration to all of us.

-Gabriel

P.S. The translation for the Liturgika (Anaphora) is the official GOA text, and the translation of "It is truly right" is by Nicholas Roumas, from The Musical Ark.

Attachments

• Liturgika and It is Truly Right - Arvanitis - Grave Mode, Zo.pdf
    606 KB · Views: 39