Cretan Masters

tsak77

Χρῆστος Τσακίρογλου
This is the score we use. You can find it at the Τριώδιον of Χρύσανθος Θεοδοσόπουλος.

Attachments

• deute ekkatharomen.pdf
    925.4 KB · Views: 47

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thank you for your reply. Out of curiosity, how many choir members are there? And how many of those members are singing ison? Where do the ison holders stand in relation to the others? And do you have any practical suggestions as to how a choir can agree on a common interpretation of the qualitative signs (besides using analytical scores)?

tsak77

Χρῆστος Τσακίρογλου
Thank you for your reply. Out of curiosity, how many choir members are there?

About 27-30 members (can't remember the exact number...)

And how many of those members are singing ison?
6-7 members.
Where do the ison holders stand in relation to the others?
As you see at the vibeo, they stand at the left hand of the maestro, so we talking for the members near the camera at his position.
And do you have any practical suggestions as to how a choir can agree on a common interpretation of the qualitative signs (besides using analytical scores)?
You know, thats something we discuss with our maestro these days. For now, we choose analytical scores (or clasic ones, but with the interpretation at the top of the music line), but maestro thinks that is better not to write anything more at the score than the isson and we as a choir, are in position to make it happen, base to our education. We' ll see... As for suggestions, i think that if the choir agree at the rehearsals what "path" to follow at any time of the hymn, that could work just fine, but its basic for all the members to have the same "sense" of the interpretation, because the "disagreements" at this point could be catastrophic...

Thank you for your comments and your interest. :wink:

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thanks again for your reply. I was highly impressed with the sound of your choir, especially with regard to overall consistency in interpretation. I was also impressed by the steady chronos of the group. I appreciated the lack of modern innovations (for example, dramatic tempo or volume changes, or the use of soloists for particular lines) which have become common in some other Byzantine choirs. Your director is doing a wonderful job, and I would love to hear more about your choir in the future, especially if you plan to make any recordings.

I am a member of a relatively new Byzantine choir in the USA, and it was not easy to agree on a common analysis. We were using classical scores, and people's overall experience with Byzantine music varied greatly. In some cases we wrote an analytical line above the main line with a pencil. I think I agree with your director that in the ideal case, it would be better not to introduce additional markings in a score (other than the ison, and perhaps some barlines). My reasoning is that too many markings on the score can distract one from praying and maintaining steady chronos, in which case the markings do more harm than good.